Sunday, May 22, 2011

The journey that will never be forgotten.

I remember the day I got my Halo off -  December 26th 2007 it was first thing in the morning.

The day before my halo was extremely loose. I spent the night (Christmas Night) with pillows under my chin on the back of the red recliner in my wheelchair. Blood was streaming from the sites where it was screwed into my skull and every time I moved I was in such excruciating pain. Getting into my mom's van that morning was the worst and then the drive was horrible, which also seemed like hours. When I got back in a room Dr. Patel came in really excited and said well, "Kasandra you know what this means? This means that all the swelling has gone down and you no longer need this halo. First, he put on a neck brace because I hadn't used any neck muscles since November 14th 2007. After this I don't remember much of the taking off except for the pressure. But what I had gone through, this was minimal pain.

I remember the day I got my neck brace off - February 4th 2008, it was mid-day (and my 17th birthday).

These two days were the best days of my life.

On November 14th 2007 around 11:00 am I was in a car accident that left me dead on the scene. I had a broken neck, broken pelvis, broken ribs, fractures in my back, and brain trauma. I was in SICU, moved to ICU and then to Rehab in Murray, Utah at IMC. I'm beyond blessed for Dr. Alpesh Patel and Dr. Erik Kubiak not to mention the trauma team, life flight, Pat Killian, all my friends, family, acquaintanceships, thoughts and prayers not to mention my own guardian angel whoever that may be.



No comments:

Post a Comment