Sunday, April 29, 2012

We need another Dr. King

In  church today we learned about honesty.
Martin Luther King Jr. was an honest man.

Alma 41:14
14 Therefore, my son, see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal ajustlybjudge righteously, and do cgood continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your dreward; yea, ye shall have emercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again. (http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/41.14?lang=eng#13)

This evening I watched J. Edgar Hoover. In this movie Martin Luther King Jr. was accepting the Nobel Peace Prize. My mom spoke up and said, do you remember when you wanted to win the Nobel Peace Prize? I said swifty, "Yeah, I still do." As I sit here typing, and as I sit back I think, I haven't thought about that honor since I was a nursing major. And I become more and more involved in human rights, and the duty I uphold as a BSW student. I will never change the world, on a large scale, but I can make my mark. (Like my massage therapist says, I may not leave a footprint, but I can leave my pinky print.) I can endure to the end, and like a college professor of mine told me earlier this week, "so long as you touch one heart, you've changed the world." So, no I don't want this honor . . . I want the honor to feel of someones love, to feel a person's change of heart, to feel this will be my most prized possession.

Martin Luther King Jr. is my hero. Ever since I was a little girl I thought so highly of Dr. King. He is someone I reach to be like. When I die I want people to think of a convicted, well spoken, loving, non-hate driven leader of the world kind of woman. I want to be in the history books. History is repeated! Not only the bad, but the good. I hope at least one person wants to follow after me, as I do with Dr. King.

This past week was emotional. I've had more tears than I know what to do with. I've had more questions than my brain could possibly process. This video enables me to relive these feelings, these questions, these worldly problems. I hope one day I can be as convicting as this man. I will never view him, the initial song in this video, or anyone else for that matter the same.

"With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day. This will be the day. This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning, "my country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty land, of thee I sing, land where my fathers died, land where the pilgrims cried, from every mountain side, let freedom ring. And if America is to be a great nation this must become true so let freedom ring . . . when we allow freedom ring . . . we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children; black men and white men, Jews and gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old negro spiritual, "Free at last! Free and last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!""

Thank you for being a leader, a mentor, and a human rights activist for me to model after. I hope not only my God and Jesus Christ are there to meet me in Heaven, but also that you are there ready to hug and accept me for following after you and what you've left behind to get done. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment