Sunday, March 4, 2012

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - MLKJ

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr.


All the hatred, yet all the love. Do not fight, do not back down. This, and so much more Martin Luther King Jr. not only said to do, but taught to do, through example. Close people to me know about some recent quarrels I've had regarding Abraham. At first I thought it was going to be a joking/light conversation over some pool, which turned into me loosing respect, yet still maintaining my composure. I felt Martin Luther King Jr., my childhood hero, and my now adulthood mentor, there with me that night. I never got upset, on the outside. I never raised my voice. I was calm and had full composure and my only worry was my safety. How I was going to get out of a situation that continued to escalate. He (MLKJ) continued to say, "stay calm, and do not show defeat. BUT, get out!" Now, this could have been my heavenly father as well, but I continuously had the above quote going through my head. Me getting upset that evening would have done NOTHING! I didn't get defensive, I wasn't argumentative and now this quarrel is still open. 


This person and I were in the same quarters about a week later yet, this person was still very rude to me. I continued to hold and keep my composure. 


About another week later this person texted me telling me we needed to talk. I let this person know we didn't need to talk because this person will never agree with my relationship, and that is not my problem. I said, "Let me learn on my own, let me grow on my own. I am putting myself first. And if I were to get hurt, which I highly doubt, but that it would't be the first time." 


My biggest problem with this entire quarrel is over the color of his skin. It's just pigment. Abraham is a beautiful human being. He has never hurt me: emotionally or physically. Yeah, I was sad that he didn't come the couple times he said he was going to. But, I would much rather him learn and become proficient in his job, as a soldier, fighting for me and my country. I want to get him back alive when he comes home from war. Racism is disgusting, racism is something I will never be alright with. I will not stand silent, I will not act like everything is alright. Not to mention when you call me dumb, and stupid, and tell me to smell the coffee. No, you smell the coffee and you open your eyes. You will lose me as a member of your family if this continues. I will not stand for it. 

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - MLKJ

No comments:

Post a Comment