Friday, March 16, 2012

Coping

Dr. Groot, a professor of mine in the College of Social Work once shared a quote in class: "The only thing constant in life is, change." Change is something so foreign to me. Big changes will be happening soon and I needed to find some comfort, so I turned to Grey's Anatomy for some quotes. 


"Change; we don’t like it, we fear it, but we can't stop it from coming. We either adapt to change or we get left behind. And it hurts to grow, anybody who tells you it doesn’t is lying. But here's the truth...the more things change, the more they stay the same. And sometimes, oh, sometimes change is good. Oh, sometimes, change is...everything."



I am listening to my heart. I am learning, expanding my mind and growing. I am listening not only with my ears but also with my eyes. I refuse to let things/ideas/people in my life that mean so much to me slip through the cracks. I will now be a filter. I will listen and take all advice happily, but I may not apply all advice.  


Abraham, is it. We've had the conversation. I asked if I could be honest, and of course he wanted me to be. I told him how I've told people he's the one, that I'm going to marry him. I never thought at 21 I would have fallen in love, and never with an African man. So many people have told me that they can see the love and adoration he gives and shows toward me. This makes my heart beam with happiness. When other's can see it, you know you don't give up, ever. 


"If there's just one piece of advice i can give you, it's this - when there's something you really want, fight for it, don't give up no matter how hopeless it seems. And when you've lost hope, ask yourself if 10 years from now, you're gonna wish you gave it just one more shot. because the best things in life, they don't come free."


Today I shared something with Abraham, which I've shared with very few people. He treats me the way I deserve to be treated. We are so different, and it's beautiful. My happiness is what matters now, if someone tries to stop my progress, I finally won't care to leave them behind. 



No comments:

Post a Comment