Sunday, May 6, 2012

Re-Conversion

Don't give up on something you know to at least enrich your life. I fight a day to day battle when it comes to drinking. I don't do it. I fight this urge off. I'm not saying I'm any better than the person who cannot fight that urge off. 

When I first came to the church I was 16 years old. Missionaries taught me and brought forth messages from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and I though it was a crock. Until Elder Zeiner asked me to pray, of which I was hesitant. As I opened my mouth I felt the spirit, which I never thought I would feel. I never thought it was possible to feel this kind of feeling that was like magic. I'm forever grateful for this wave of emotion which swept over me - the rest is history.

I fell away. I've done things, none of which I regret. I needed to do all of the things I did in order to be where I am today. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I can say that loud and proud. I am different than some, but the same like many. I am following Jesus Christ. I am becoming like him. I'm learning, I'm not a pro - nor will I ever be. I am going to love people, no matter their background. Love doesn't discriminate. 

When I first fell away I was in a Diversity class for pre-requisites for my major, Social Work. I thought how in the hell am I supposed to be LDS and a Social Work major? As I continued to study in my field, and as I talked to people, and as I prayed, and as I pondered, and as I cried, and as I tried to figure life out I wrote a paper. 


This paper was titled:
How does one reconcile membership in a conservative religion while working with LGBT individuals and encompassing social work values? 


My heavenly father took me by the hand, took me by the mind, and took me by the heart and showed me; through love everything is possible. 

I have now been back into the church since the first of the year, and I haven't missed a Sunday. Not to say just because I go to church I'm a good person. But, it helps me to learn what I am supposed to be teaching, living, learning and spreading - the gospel, not the church.

I am doing the Lords will, not my will.

p.s. if you want to read this paper, let me know . . . it's eight pages so too long to post on here, but I can e-mail it to you :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment