Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day - My Truth

I was going to be a member of the Air Force back in 2007. I wanted it more than anything. I wanted to be part of something more; larger than just my family, town, city, county, state, or country. I craved to be in the military more than I craved anything. I got into an accident which gave me too much metal, too many injuries. This included a broken heart, because I was no longer able to sign those papers, and start on my mission in life. At least what I thought was my mission in life.

I wanted to follow after my grandpa, and serve in the military. He served in Viet Nam, and all he could ever say was don't joy the Army. He pleaded with me to join the Air Force, because me, as a woman would be treated with just a tad bit more dignity and respect. I agreed and off I went.

When I "woke up" out of a coma there was Ryan, my recruiter. They told me, and I didn't acknowledge anyone for a couple days I'm told. I was genuinely broken hearted, and didn't want to believe it. In fact I refused to believe it. I went on another tour up at the base, and told Ryan once again that I wanted to join. He continued to tell me no, but I still pursued finding out information, and the more I did the more I fell in love. It hit me one day when he was telling me due to my spleen being gone they wouldn't accept me. I wouldn't pass a physical. I told him just to fib my physical, laughed, and I started to become okay with not being able to join.

Though every time someone asked me about it I would cry, and probably did for the first three, or so years. Now, it's just once in a blue moon that I cry about it. Days like this, Memorial Day, in particular, really upset me. The positive part is that I can thank those who do serve. I can thank them, and I can see their passion to serve. I'm happy that we have so many ready and willing to do that which many aren't willing.

On the idea and fact of war: those who are against it make me sad. There are some people who look down upon soldiers, and I don't understand it. But, it's these individuals rights, and those soldiers fought for them to be able to voice their opinions. I just wish they were more thankful. Some leave everything behind to do serve. In general war to me doesn't make sense, but I'm not the government, I don't know the "TOP SECRET" items. I look at it this way, without war; we wouldn't have freedom. I love freedom, so if that's what it takes we need it. If you're attacked you aren't going to sit back and watch, you're going to fight. If you're family/best friend is attacked, you're going to help them. It is something I wish we didn't need to have, but it's a fact of life. Without war there isn't life. Even though there are some countries who seem to stay pretty neutral, but we're America and that will never happy.

I'm not sitting here saying, "We're American, and we're number one." But, I'm just saying show the people willing to do the job, you aren't willing to do some respect, and just say, Thank You! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment