Tuesday, October 30, 2012

For the LOVE of Documentaries.

"My obsession has been — and is still — the feeling of being there. Not of finding out this and analyzing this or performing some virtuous social act or something. Just what's it like to be there." - Richard Leacock




Except, I want to do just that, a virtuous social act. When I watch documentaries I am reminded that ONE person can change the world, and that ONE person can be me. Not that having other people with your same vision isn't pertinent, and useful. I enjoy knowing other people want to change the world as well. 

This evening I watched two and a half documentaries. The first one was A Ripple of Hope which was about Robert Kennedy and the need he felt to speak out to people of color when Martin Luther King Jr. was shot. I am a HUGE admirer of MLKJ, but never did I know the things MR. Robert Kennedy did, not only through activism but through humanism. A reason why I say I am a humanist. I don't want to be labeled as a Mormon, or a Liberal Democrat, I want to be labeled as a Humanist. 

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."
Senator Robert F. Kennedy, June 6 1966 (South Africa address)
Next I watched a show called Barbershop Brothers - and I quite enjoyed it, but felt that it was purely enjoyable, but I wanted to learn something! Hence the reason I moved on to another documentary .
The last one I watched was New Muslim Cool, the things I learned! I cannot express how much heartbreak, and love, I have for those of the Muslim Faith. They are amazing people. This documentary talked about how the FBI targeted a family of recently converted Muslims in Pittsburgh. Not only did they have cameras surrounding their mosque, but they raided that mosque, for no reason. The person they were looking for was already arrested, and placed in the back of a police car. Yet, the FBI still busted down the doors, on a Friday, during one of the prayer times. Like they said in the documentary, "tell me this would happen in a Christian church on a Sunday." F'real doe. It definitely makes me appreciate the faith, and the people, ten fold. 
You can watch all three of these videos on Netflix, but here is a preview of the last one I watched. Much love!
“Love is what we were born with. Fear is what we learned here.”
Just love one another, learn about a new culture, and accept people as they are, don't try and change them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment