Thursday, November 14, 2013

Beautiful Blue Eyes

Today has been a huge day of reflection. I wanted to drop off a treat for Pat (my hero, the man who saved my life on 11/14/2007) on the six year anniversary of a motor vehicle accident that I was in. I planned ahead and bought him a Hickory Farms sausage/cheese/cracker package and a Ferrero Rocher chocolate package with white/milk/dark hazelnut chocolate deliciousness. All with a really sweet, simple, card. 

When he met me at the front door of the Fire Station he said, "Those big blue eyes, I would recognize those big blue eyes anywhere!" He introduced me to some of his fellow crew members before we went and sat down in his office. He proceeded to tell me his story, that of which I have never heard. He said, “I have a few things to talk to you about.” As I began to shake, and feel tears form, I had the largest smile I have had in a really long time. He proceeded to look at me, and as I looked in his own bright blue eyes I knew his soul. I knew that we were meant to meet. I knew that he was meant to help save me. 

He told me that he was so pissed off, because the DMV moved locations, and he needed to do his yearly registration on his truck.   He could see the aftermath of some sort of accident, and he told himself that 'this couldn't be happening'. He told me that there must have been a lot that he was supposed to do that day, though he couldn't recall what. He pulled over, and was assessing the situation when a lady came up and said that she was a nurse. He said that he could see B and J in the front seat, and that they were breathing, when a guy called him over and said there is someone in the backseat. Pat said that he jumped on the trunk as both doors were jammed, as he couldn't get them to open. He then called two guys over and said, ‘look, I need your help! This girl doesn't appear to be breathing. You both need to pull on that door, but don't hurt yourself.'      The first pull, nothing. The second pull, the door unjammed.      Pat told me that earlier today (11/14/13) he went to a scene of an accident and that they couldn't even get the Jaws of Life to get this guy out, and unfortunately his story doesn't have the same happy ending. He said that the car I was in was worse than this guy’s vehicle, and the door just unjammed. He paused; he said 'that is just amazing' then preceded. He told me that when he finally got in the car I wasn't breathing, he took his knife out (mind you he is off duty as a paramedic, and doesn't have his gear with him) and was getting ready to do a tracheotomy on me with this knife, when someone said, "wait, the seat belt it is all twisted around her." He couldn't see the seat belt as I was laying on it. He said he cut off the seat belt and thanked God he didn't have to do a tracheotomy with his pocket knife. He said that he then took the vomit out of my mouth, and my eyes opened, and "those blue eyes, those beautiful bright blue eyes stared at me." He said it felt like thirty minutes to get the choppers in the area, even though it had been maybe six minutes. He said, "Then you were in the chopper, and they weren't leaving and I was pacing back and forth, worried." He said he later found out that the computers were down at the new IMC in Murray, and that is why it took so long. 

On another note, think about how everything works together, like a well oiled machine. If the DMV hadn't moved locations . . . I wouldn't be here. If he the door wouldn't have opened . . . I wouldn't be here. If IMC's computers had been up I wouldn't have gotten the best care. If I wouldn't have gone to the U, I wouldn't be here to tell my story. 

The best part of tonight was when he said, "Your outlook on life is special, young lady. You don't see this as the end of the road. You didn't see it as a woe is me; you saw it as well, and look what I can do! Not look at what I cannot do. Amazing! Look at what you're doing for others. Most people wouldn't have done half of what you have done, including being able to walk, talk, and graduate." 

He then walked me out to my car, hugged me and said he couldn't wait for his kids to meet me. He said, 'forgive me for not knowing today was the anniversary, it's not that I don't remember you, or think about you often. He said, on my hardest days, when things don't go the way I would have wanted them to go, I remember that car door, and I remember those big blue eyes. I remember that it is out of my control, that I CAN do my job, that I KNOW my job, that I am proficient.'  I can now see why he didn't consider him my hero, what an incredible, humble, amazing, man. 

Everything happens for a reason. Smile, because it's only temporary :)

xo,

Kas 

No comments:

Post a Comment